Have you ever been in a weird mood? A bad one, sad one, a funk– and you are not even sure why? No energy, don’t wanna do jack and overall feel blah?
If you have, I feel you completely- and I think most people do too (at least at some point in their life). Listed below are ten things you can do to get out of a funk, however, I do know the hardest part is DOING any of the ten. Just pick one. One…and give it a shot. Then maybe another.
- Meditate. I started doing this five years or so ago and am so grateful I did. Not only does it help with a funk, but depression, anxiety, sleeplessness and so much more. A simple one to do, at any time, is mindful breathing. Sit in a comfortable position. Set your phone timer to 2 or 3 minutes and then set it to do not disturb. Close your eyes. Listen to the sounds around you. Feel and recognize what your body is experiencing. Pay attention to your breath. On your next inhale think ‘gratitude’, on each exhale think ‘release’. For the rest of the time just focus on your breath. Feel free to count them.
- Gratitude Journal. Take some time to really reflect on all that you have to be grateful for. This is a time to think of anything from your dog to your spouse to your breath to the new dress you just bought. Write it down. Then read it. Feel free to expand on some areas.
- GOALS! Do you have a list of goals? If so, great- get the list out and pick one and do something right then and there that gets you closer to achieving it. If you don’t- make one right now!
- Talk to a trusted tribe member. Each of us has a circle of influence. We become like whom we spend time with. And the important thing about our tribe is that when we are in a funk, if you have a solid, trusted tribe, you can turn to one and have a chat. That person will know that it is time to help pick you up.
- Go outside. You don’t even have to do anything really. Though if you can, take a walk too. But just get outside. Even if it is raining.
- Listen to music. This is the easiest one to turn to if you are REALLY feeling unmotivated. Turn on the most uplifting music on your phone, close your eyes and hum it out. Or sing it out. Or just listen.
- Exercise. This is probably one of the hardest to talk yourself into if you are in a funk; yet has the most reward. It literally releases feel good hormones. Just today, I didn’t want to do ANYTHING. And yet I went through the motions; got dressed, drove to the gym, sat on the spin bike and then started pedaling. Now, I am in such a great place I am writing to tell you to do the same!
- Read. Most of my reading selections are self improvement books, but once in a while, especially if I am in a funk, I just want beach trash reading. You pick whatever floats your boat, but get lost in another world for a little bit.
- Do something creative. If you like to write, do that. Draw. Paint. Design. Browse Pinterest and then go for it.
- Watch a comedy. After having my third child, I went into that nasty world of postpartum blues. Ewww that was terrible. Thank goodness I only experienced it to that degree with two of my four. I might have had to be admitted to an asylum if I had it with all four. During this time I remember sitting in a rocking chair and watching Hangover- over and over again. I would be crying and laughing. But I definitely believe that watching that show, and a couple others, were the reason I didn’t linger too long in that ugly place. You don’t need to be that sad, depressed or blue to watch a comedy. On my funk days now, I might watch a quick rerun of Modern Family and for some reason, I am feeling much better and can get my ass out of bed. Laughter is an amazing thing.
Feel free to share with us what works for you. Let us be your tribe!